I’ve been writing most of my life. I was probably one of the few kids in high school English class, who actually enjoyed the subject. After I graduated high school, I took Journalism Administration at the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology and worked within the graphic arts and printing industry for many years.
In the early 1990s, I joined the Calgary Writers Association. I began my Author’s Journey, writing fiction, non-fiction, and poetry:
- Through this organization (now defunct) I was the 1997 recipient of the Calgary Writers Association Brendon Donnelly Award for Children’s Literature,
- and I also won third place for the 1998 Calgary Writers Association Sunshine Sketches Award for Fiction Writing.
During this time, I also:
- Completed the Writing for Children & Teenagers Diploma Course through The Institute of Children’s Literature in 1994,
- and followed it up by taking an additional diploma course: Writing & Selling Children’s Books from the same institute in 1999.
In 1998, I decided to start my own magazine, Canadian Teddy Bear News, which reflected my love of teddy bears and teddy bear artistry:
- The magazine became popular across Canada with artists and collectors alike.
- I also contributed many articles on teddy bear collecting and art to magazines throughout Canada and the United States.
I began reflecting on some children’s stories which I wrote while taking previous courses and decided to leave the magazine publishing industry and investigate publishing children’s books. Through Wood Lily Publishers, the children’s books:
- Little Blue Penguin,
- and McKenzie’s Frosty Surprise came to fruition.
- Little Blue Penguin was nominated Finalist for The 2008 Canadian Christian Writing Awards.
I’ve also written a reference book for people who’d like to write for children and teens:
- How To Write For Children, An Easy Three-Step Guide To Writing Children’s Books.
I love writing from-the-heart essays and articles and felt privileged to be a contributing author to the works of:
- Anna Linder’s The Book of Emotions: Or how it feels to feel.
My most recent published work:
- Today I AM… An Empowering Journal Back To Self reflects my journey of finding myself after life’s journey took me through several ups and downs.
I don’t know where my writing journey will take me, but I’m sure if I listen to my heart, it will be limitless. I look forward to sharing it!